I had some figs getting soft…had bought them hoping the boys would like them but they barely touched them. so i decided to try using them to bake something.
now, i have this fantastic banana bread recipe. so i simply substituted the bananas in the recipe with pureed fig. it actually came out pretty yum. Am going to try it with mango next. it’s quite healthy and very delicious.
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (350 degrees fahrenheit)
1 cup granulated sugar (i used 3/4 sugar and 1/4 honey)
1/2 cup butter
2 cups flour (i used 1 1/2 cups wheat flour and 1/2 cup flour)
1 cup ripe banana mashes – approx 3 bananas (i substituted with pureed figs)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla essence
1. Mix all the dry ingredients and set aside
2. Cream the butter and sugar (or sugar + honey)
3. Add the eggs, one at a time and the vanilla essence
4. Add the pureed fig to the mixture and beat
5. add the dry ingredients to the mixture and mix with a ladle or spoon.
6. pour the batter (it will be thickish not runny) into a greased and dusted bread pan
7. sprinkle some muesli on top (optional – but gives a nice crunch!)
8. Bake for about 50 minutes or till inserted toothpick comes out clean
Let it stand for 10 minutes and then take it out of the pan and place it on a wire rack to cool.